Healthy Kids Snacks with just 4 Ingredients!
Try making these 5 simple healthy snacks for your children this Children's Day. All you need is 4 ingredients or less for each recipe!
Snacking healthily plays a part in helping our kids meet their daily nutritional requirements. Here, we introduce some options that are all natural and healthy. We promise you wouldn't spend time hunting for ingredients or break into sweat in the kitchen! Here are the recipes. Enjoy!
Baked Apple Coins
2 green apples
(yes, that's it!)
Preheat oven to 160 Deg and line baking tray with parchment paper.
1. Core the apples with an apple corer.
2. Slice the apples into thin slices (abt 2mm thickness)
3. Place sliced apples on baking tray and bake for 30mins before flipping over and continue to bake for 15 to 30mins until apple coins look dry and crisp.
(Tip: Taste best when it is fresh out of oven. Store left-overs in air-tight container. Note apple coins will turn chewy upon storage)
Baked Banana Puffs
2 large bananas
1 teaspoon custard powder
1 sheet of puff pastry
1 beaten egg
Preheat oven to 210 Deg and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
1. Stir a teaspoon of custard powder into 3 teaspoons of water.
2. Slice 2 large bananas (about 1 cm or less in thickness) and cook it in a small non-stick frying pan for about 3 to 5 mins.
3. Stir in the custard powder mixture and stir until well blended before removing it from pan to cool down.
4. Put 2 tablespoons of banana mixture onto the puff pastry square (about 13 by 13 cm).
5. Brush a little beaten egg on the edges of the pastry before folding it into a triangle shape.
6. Seal edges with a fork before brushing a little beaten egg onto the triangle puffs.
7. Bake at 210 Deg for 10 to 15 mins or until pastry turns golden brown.
(Tip: Replace Puff pastry with Filo pastry for an even healthier version)
Fruity Yogurt Popsicle
4 Strawberries (sliced thinly)
1 wedge of rock melon (chopped into cubes)
250g Vanilla Yogurt
1. Cut fruits into cubes or thinly slices.
2. Pour tub of yogurt into a large bowl.
3. Stir fruits into yogurt and use spoon to fill the popsicle moulds.
4. Place popsicles into the freezer and freeze for 5 hours.
(Tip: If you don't have popsicle mould, use cups or jelly moulds instead.
Tortilla Chips with Pumpkin Dip
Wholegrain tortilla wrap*
1 wedge of pumpkin (cut into large thumb size cubes)
30ml breast milk, fresh milk or baby formula
Preheat oven to 170 Deg and line baking try with parchment paper.
1. Steam pumpkin slices for about 20 minutes or until soft.
2. Put pumpkin into a large bowl and mash it with a fork.
3. Stir in milk and blend well.
4. Cut tortilla wrap into your favourite shapes and put it on lined baking tray to bake for about 10-15 mins or until crisp golden brown.
5. Serve dip together with tortilla chips.
(Tip: Try using avocado or sweet potato. Tastes great too!)
Zucchini & Cheese Toasties
1/2 (half) zucchini (thinly sliced to about 2mm thickness)
3 slices of wholemeal/wholegrain bread (you can use any cutters to get fun shapes)
1/4 (quarter) cup grated cheddar cheese
1. Fry zucchini slices in a lightly oiled frying pan for about 5 to 8 mins. Remove from pan to cool.
2. Lightly toast bread for about 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Placed cooked zucchini slices onto toasted bread before sprinkling grated cheese on top.
4. Put in a topheat toaster for about 5 mins or until cheese has melted.
(Tip: Good with other veggies too: tomatoes, bell peppers, corn kernels or mushrooms etc...)
*Just in case you are not sure which tortilla to use in the Tortilla Chips with Pumkin Dip recipe, i bought and used this from Fairprice at $2.80.